Tuesday, March 13, 2012

when you were born

Being pregnant with you was neat. you were full of life from the first time I felt you move. I remember feeling a connection with you and thinking it was odd. you used to roll somersaults, and try to stretch out all the way,and kick the same rib over and over again. you were always moving. you also liked to rake your hands against my stomach. being tickled from the inside is pretty weird. I always thought you were exploring. you were curious even then. after you were born, you did this same hand action on everything, mostly clothes and blankets.


It was a warm Monday morning. I woke up with contractions at about 3 AM. as they progressed I decided this was the real thing and ate because at the hospital they wont let you eat in labor. your due date was July 31. it was July 6 I was feeling very lucky.

while pregnant with you I was working as a housekeeper and they made me quit about a month before you were born, it was the middle of the summer HOT, and boring. and we had no air conditioning. so I spent a lot of time on the couch.

to pass the time I sat on an exercise ball and watched the movie "clue." we made it about a third through.

when we arrived at the hospital they checked me and I was not too far progressed. so they wanted to send me home. I said no.

the doctor broke my water to speed things up. then it got pretty bad and I decided I wanted an epidural because a nurse told me I had HOURS left probably at least 6.

so they put it in. and then dad went to the bathroom, and when he came out I was pushing.

so her "6" hours was more like 30 min. I had been in transition. (that's the worst part.)

all in all it took about 5 hrs in the hospital.

you were 7 lbs, 6 oz, and 20.5" long.


about 10 min after you were born you stretched as far as you could and spread your fingers and toes, and fell asleep like that. most babies are too scared even to stretch. it was so cute. you also could hold up your own head right away which is only normal with babies who wiggle like you did.

when the nurses from the nursery came to get you for something the nurse got exited and told me that they had been fighting for the chance to hold you that you were such a pretty baby.

you stole my heart instantly. you were such a happy quiet baby, and you slept really well after only a couple months.

I used to watch your cousin Eli while his mom worked. you two were always interacting.

I struggled at first to nurse you. we had a lot to learn. a friend who was a lactation consultant came to our house and helped. you were very patient. you did however not like the way they taught me to hold you. you fought and cried. when I discovered the truth I realized that you were a girl who did not like to be told what to do. you also did not want anything to touch your feet and you used to stretch them as far as they would go and spread your toes. this got pretty hard to do the bigger you got.

No comments:

Post a Comment